What I miss about Bennington:
- My classes, especially Italian
- Seeing friends, faculty members, and students regularly
- Having coffee at South Street Cafe while reading or studying (I’m glad to have a break from the studying)
- The fall leaves, which were gone before the term ended
- Walking around campus either alone or with friends
- My house and housemates
Although there are elements I miss about Bennington, I am really enjoying interning with a chef over this Field Work Term. Two days ago, I went with her to a client’s home to cook meals for now and the holidays. It’s valuable to see the interactions between my advisor and her clients and to experience some the many reasons people want her as a chef.
Everything my advisor prepared was scrumptious, and I was able to prepare some elements of the recipes, too! I roasted walnuts, cooked spinach for spanakopitas, and I laid out and rolled the phyllo for the spanakopitas and vegetable phyllo bites. Already I am learning about food preparation, how to work in a kitchen (with prep, clean up, etc.), and how to get your name out in the world as a chef. More updates to come!